The pride of the university is the library. This is one of the largest collections of human knowledge of Siberia and the Far East. The fund of the library, and it is unique, has 1,192,870 units of books, scientific and technical documentation, magazines and newspapers. In its composition are almost complete sets of books of the former Academy of Geological Sciences, Russian Mineralogical Society, Mining Journal in 1825, 15 titles of major universal encyclopedias in Russian, German and English, including the latest 15th edition of the Encyclopaedia Britannica, unique edition 1896 , the “universe and humanity”, a facsimile edition of the monument of ancient Russian culture “Ostrom Gospel” (1056-1057 gg.), “The Odyssey” by Homer in translation V. Zhukovsky, rare books on art, architecture, books with inscriptions of personal libraries with print and bookplate, facsimile collection babies, books and other rare and original edition. Since 1932, one of the few library receives a copy of all the mandatory surcharge published in a book on the country profile of the university. Moreover, receipt of legal deposit was not interrupted even during the harsh years of the Great Patriotic War.
The quantity and quality of the book fund, structure and content of the work in 1990. The library is assigned to the I group. It has 10 departments, 4 subscription, 2 branches in the eastern and international faculties, 6 reading rooms, one of which is a computer. She has a wealth of reference apparatus (catalogs, card files), reflecting the 13 types of printed materials. In recent years with the introduction of information technology along with traditional prints actively formed in the library of computer readable media foundation. Library Branches are located on an area of 3000 m2.
The results achieved do not come by themselves, it is the result of the passed historical path of hard work of many generations of people.
The history of the library refers to April 1, 1930, when it started its creation. She immediately formed a scientific support unit of the Institute, the content of the work is to help train and educate themselves.
From the first days of the team and its first director VS Manassein had to solve complex problems providing students and faculty with the necessary literature, having at that time a capacity of 12 thousand copies, and a small room. But already in 1934 the collective work has been recognized as a model, and the library – one of the best in Eastern Siberia.
Over the years, in that distant time, except VS Manassein library was headed by PA Bryson, K. Chernyakov, AD Nagibina, TN Borisova, EV Afanasiev. Each of them made a significant contribution to its development.
Together with the Institute library staff experienced wartime difficulties.
In connection with the release of the body of the Institute for the plant, had to move the library fund with Lenin Street, 3 in another building (Str. Red Star, 5). The areas were reduced by 4 times, dramatically reduced staff. But the staff did everything possible not only to ensure the educational process, but also has provided assistance to the front (collection of things, money, duty in the hospital).
For his work in a wartime LI Gromova and EI letterhead were awarded medals “For Valiant Labor in the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945.”
In the postwar period, 12 people left in the state library, of which only three employees had higher education, which certainly affected the quality of the work. The Foundation actively replenished by that time totaled 236 thousand. Copies, it was difficult to place because library area is not increased. It delays the processing of new arrivals. Promptly treated only valuable literature. And even in such difficult conditions, the learning process does not suffer.
With the advent of the post of Director in 1954. NN Varlamovoj situation began to change. When it has been increased the library area, restructured, additional open reading rooms, organized mobile libraries in classrooms, to expedite the processing of the new literature.
In the early 60’s library moved again, this time in the campus, and until 1970 was located, in addition to the training fund in temporary premises. By the time the fund totaled 250 thousand. Copies, helped carry him and all the teachers and students.
By its 40th anniversary in 1970, the library has received new and now permanent premises, which houses today. And on the basis of review of library work I received the Diploma of 3 degrees, and the organizing committee of the National Diploma of the excellent work of the regional department of culture.
In 1973, N. Varlamov changed Hlebkova NY, before rabotavsha her deputy.
In this decade, the library has developed most rapidly, ie. In. Per year increased enrollment of students, opened a new specialty, laboratory, expanded research topics.